National Snakebite Initiative
(Erode, Tamilnadu, India)
Shyamala Mathavi a snakebite activist fighting snakebite on the frontlines in the high-risk agricultural & rural communities of southern India.
In 2013, Shyamala won a UN-Habitat Recognition Award for her comprehensive direct-impact activities as solutions through at her “National Snakebite Initiative” such as
- Daily snakebite victim case studies and advocacy
- Snakebite investigation, documentation and victim welfare support
- Rural awareness and educational outreach
- “Snake Safety Officer Skill” trainings
- Establishing “Snake Safety” zones
Shyamala has worked to scale-up towards the establishment of a Snakebite Rehabilitation Training & Information center to facilitate and bridge the gap between the international pioneers, researchers and rural victim.